Well here we are, finally finished after all this time. As you will have read, I started this five years ago and it was with guilt that led me to get it started somewhat reluctantly when Azazel threw down the January challenge. I couldn’t let this opportunity go by, so thanks mate for the spur on! Before I go on, there are a few thanks in order:
Azazel for arranging his challenge, The Imperfect Modeller (old IMP) for all his various modelling tips, Justneedsvarnish for his scratch built scenery, and one important lad who has helped greatly with this project, The Imperialrebelork (the young IMP) with his gap filling idea, his armour painting tips and introducing me to Nuln oil (it’s so good and if I had known about it years ago it would have saved me a lot of grief!). Lastly, but very importantly, I can’t forget to mention those of you who have chosen to follow me on my blog, it certainly helps and thanks .
620x610x70 and 4kg
As I mentioned in the previous post this one was supposed to sit beside the village, on it’s right side, but with a geographical design fault it doesn’t look right, so there will be a slot-in-diorama between the village and the castle. There’s another addition also to the castle’s left. It will be about the same size and it will be called The Bathers for want of a name, which will be finished in a week or two.
I have described the castle and the moat in the last blog so I won’t bore you with that again, so to the figures. They are a combination of metal and plastic with the ducks being resin. The metal figures are Valdemar and a very fine set they produce, can’t praise them enough! (I’ll just say now, if you are interested in these figures you should check out Paul Bod’s work, it helped me greatly.) The others consist of some Strelets Norman army camp, Revell foot soldiers, Italeri Medieval challenge, Emhar Viking oarsmen, and Revell English 100years foot soldiers .
As earlier said, the time spent on this was mainly on the castle and moat. Since there were a smaller number of figures to work with, they took only an hour or two. The scenery; which I find the most satisfying and a lot of fun, (so much so that I have to restrain myself from overdoing it), was completed over a day or two. I sort advice about doing the flowers and was told to take the easy road and purchase them. That proved however too difficult so I checked out a YouTube video and made them myself (easy if you have a static grass gun and again, a bit of fun!). The ferns and ivy and other plants are from Green Line and are really good and worth the expense. I’m sorry to say the rushes are not worth the trouble, there are better ways.
Finally the ducks. I have tried to make them appear to be Mallards and that was good fun. Mounting them with the help of a bit of fishing line and Woodlands water effects was easier than I thought it would be. A warning, some of you would know from experience how brittle resin can be, so beware. (It’s the reason I left the ducks to the very end). There was a wing snap or two when painting them but with care they are easily glued.
Well I hope you like the finished job and I will try not to take too long with the next add-on. Here’s hoping I get it right!