1.5kg (3.3lbs ) / 45cm x 30cm x 30cm.
Well here we are finally, the Ship’s crewed, the natives are angry and the Corsairs want to do some plundering! First to the Heller caravel Nina, it was originally going to be the Pinta but she has been struggling against the stormy weather since March and as yet has not arrived from Germany. Her faithful captain Daniel is doing his best to get her to Australia but it’s a long way and with the virus disrupting everything one just has to be patient especially when it comes to getting a delivery from across the world at a time when everyone’s health is far more important. On top of that our American friends who are also struggling with the virus are now experiencing terrible bush fires on the west coast. I’m sure like the rest of our crew my thoughts are with you. Well back to the show and how I came to end up with a tropical-theme for this diorama. I had purchased the two sets of Dark Alliance Corsairs but wasn’t sure as to whom I could pit them against. It was by chance that I noticed one of those promos of other bloggers when looking at someone else’s blog so I decided to check it out. Well luckily I did because it was from this young gamer who gave me the solution to my dilemma. If you check out his site you will immediately recognize how mine came about! Thank you Joseph!
Also I had the Caesar figures which I had previously painted up for a show with the Amazons but that didn’t eventuate, so after I saw Joseph’s blog, I decided they looked good enough for a tropical show so out they came. They are the closest I could get to represent the now extinct race of Carib Indians. (The figures are Maya Warriors and Biblical Era Libyan Warriors.) The dead and wounded Corsairs are Germania English Civil War Dead. I must add that I bought some Ultima Ratio musketeers just for the female figures and used on the Retreat from Corunna Diorama, but I thought I’d never use the male figures as they were pretty bad. However, I needed some swashbuckling characters so I experimented with them by roughing them up and painting them. I have to say they came up ok in the end, so they got the gig.
Now to the sea, this was my first attempt. As you know I’ve done a lot of still water and streams but never an ocean. My fears were unfounded as it was very easy in the end. I must say prior to this I have only used Woodlands Realistic Water, but this time it was two parts resin. After viewing some how-to’s I was right to go, the only thing was I was a bit late at doing was the pour and what I thought was going to be waves subsided overnight. I fixed them with water effects from Woodlands and finished them off with a little white paint. There is only one thing for those who wish to make Nina sailing along, as I have (I know, she is close to the shore but she is a shallow draught caravel and the pilot is very competent, and apart from that, I have told myself to stay within the confines!). You may wish to super glue a piece of flexible wire to the base of the sail so that it billows out.