Cavalry horses

I have just finished painting fifty horses and cavalry men , it’s my first go at painting horses I usually shy away from them but this time I had no option but to bite the bullet and go to it. After a bit of research and some practice it wasn’t to bad and towards the […]

Read More…

RETREAT TO CORUNNA

50CM (1.9 FT) X 40CM (1.4FT)   2.1KG The subject for this diorama is one I have always wanted to do, but was a bit wary about doing it because of my concerns  in regard to creating the snow effects.  However after the research I did for the Russian diorama, it was a little easier although […]

Read More…

The Painted Figures

Well, now that’s done! 247 infantry figures painted for the next diorama, a good number for the size of the base. As usual I feel it might be a bit of a squeeze- I’m yet to fit all the figures I have painted on a diorama. In the past I have shied away from the […]

Read More…

TIM’s Trees

This is my experimentation with The Imperfect Modeller’s method of making trees without glue. A brilliant and easy idea once you have practiced his method. This can be found on TIM’s blog– I highly recommend having a look. Below you can see some of my experimentations, the better ones you will see on my next […]

Read More…

Retreat From Moscow 1812

Size: 60cm (2FT) X40cm (1.4FT) 2kgs

This diorama is still the small size, just a little wider than the Vikings diorama to allow for the three paths which I’d decided on. As for the weight, again I kept it to a minimum with a thin base board, foam core to form the terrain covered by a thin layer of plaster. I have long had the desire to do a snow diorama, a challenge I admit, as I live far from any snow and have not had much chance to know …

Read More…

Viking Raid

Size: 60cm (2ft. ) x 30cm (1ft. ) 1.7kgs.

As with the Viking diorama I have stayed with the smaller size. This decision meant I had to make a big change to my original scheme which was to incorporate a Viking ship (I had one but after I’d made the base I found it wouldn’t fit). With the necessary change of plan, the end result was a scratch built fishing boat and a smaller area of water with a little creek and jetty .

Read More…

Roman Ambush

Size: 50 x 28 cm 1.8kgs

I decided that it was time to go down a bit in size as I am always saying, room, I need more room! So the answer was go smaller and this was the result. There are 285 figures on the board so it is pretty crowded but that was the effect I was hoping for as the roman battles would have been very ‘argy bargy’. The idea came to me when I was reading about the roman ambush in a Germanic forest.

Read More…