300 x 400 x 200cm [1’ x 1’5 x 8’’]
Well here we are, a new diorama using the Amazons again but this time up against some pretty angry Mummies. Both sets are from Dark Alliance and as you might recall, I’ve talked about them previously, so I won’t bang on again about how good they are.
The set is again pretty small with 122 figures, some horse, two dogs and a chariot. The terrain comprises just a few layers of foam board for the base and for the columns I used cardboard hot glued onto bottle caps, then painted with acrylic paint mixed with chalk dust to give it a rough finish. (That was not my idea, I picked it up on you tube, how to make columns and it is well worth viewing if you want to make some).
The Egyptian image has been washed over with the chalk dust and PVA white glue with some powdered turf dusted onto certain areas to make it look aged and damaged. The roof is just strips of Styrofoam, again painted as above but with PVA white glue added for strength.
The well I made from air drying clay. The cat statues are cheap Egyptian figures knocked out in China, I’d say for the tourist market, as they have Egypt printed across the base that I have plastered over and painted again with paint and chalk dust, no glue needed. The urns are again container caps hacked up a bit and painted. I have also found from my Chinese friends some really great skulls which I have used. Unfortunately my photos probably don’t do them the justice they deserve but they are pretty close on perfect to 1/72 scale. I have even done a conversion on one figure in the centre of the action. Just a note about the figure placement, usually just super glue them on but this can leave a shiny spot if too much comes out, I saw John@just needsvarnish put me onto Vallejo Earth Texture and that worked out well, so a big thanks to John for another trick in the bag.
Oh and I have included a few random figures that the wife of one of the suppliers I have purchased sets off in the past, had thrown in for me when doing the packing. She might do this as a bit of a hoot, as I then have to go off and find out what they are! Some of them I thought I would never use, but when doing this diorama, I thought, ah yes! They will be perfect! I painted them up and popped them on, so it’s now your turn folks to find them and figure out what set they are from.