Well I’ve finally finished it after all the planning, getting helpful tips from my followers and the research trip. It was going well until I realized that after painting all the cavalry and infantry that they wouldn’t fit on the base without looking crowded so I had to extend the base to its current size which is as follows; (620cm /2ft x 620cm /2ft, and weighs 4kg). I have had this problem before though this time it was only a strip about 15cm /6”, not like the US civil war one where I had to double its size entirely.
I have always had a fascination for this period since we studied it at school but never thought I would get to do a diorama on the subject as there were no figures available back then .When I got back into it a couple of years ago and I was researching Napoleonic period figures, (that is my favourite) on the 1/72 soldier review site. I highly recommend you visit it before purchasing your figures; it has been of great help, especially when you wish to match figures from different companies. When I found the first ECW figs, they didn’t impress me so I put the idea on the back burner until I stumbled on the Revell sets for the Swedish thirty year war and found them perfect for the job. I bought a set at some considerable price two years ago, then I realised they were out of production so kept my eye out and managed to purchase a couple of sets since. Having spent some time in the UK, I being from Australia was fascinated by all the greenness and soft light, so this subject enabled me to try and emulate the English country side. I feel I have, but I’m sure that there will be some from the old country whom will spot a few inconsistencies.
Ok, I know a few of you out there who know your figures and would have spotted ones I have used from other companies apart from the mainly Revell set with a few of the smaller figures from A Call To Arms, so I won’t list them.
I learnt a lot about painting horse and found it a lot more fun when I learnt all about their huge variety in colourings, not quite as simple as I thought, a bit like when I started painting trees brown, only to realise that is not always the case- more greys and greens especially in the damp UK. Now you can all go and check out the badly painted trees on the Medieval village one!
After painting the horses it came to the job off pinning them, the most difficult job of pinning I have encountered as their hooves are small and fragile. However I couldn’t avoid it as burying the base would have been a bad idea as it is too difficult to put static grass around figures when they are mounted on the base.
Once again I am indebted to theimperfectmodeller who gave me the great tip on string trees, as used on this diorama as well as the Retreat from Corunna. I can say how well they turn out with a bit of practise. Having made a few trees I then thought may I could adapt this to making hedges, and bingo the string hedge appeared to me, so thanks again Dave, I feel your tips have had a lot to do with the way I wanted it to turn out.